Thursday 14 October 2010

O the Laziness.

Well, my first week as an English Assistant is finished. Working 11 hours a week (or 7 this week, thanks to the strike!) seems to suit me pretty well! I haven't been bored or fed up, even though I slept in yesterday, thus missing the only bus to Chateauroux that leaves at a reasonable hour and landing myself in a day full of flat-tidying and idleness. But, c'est la vie! I got aaaall the dishes and the hoovering done, so the place looks pretty good at the minute. I'm becoming awfully house proud; who'd've thought it?!

The teaching side of things has been going pretty smoothly so far. It's a bit disheartening to hear that the kids know NOTHING about Northern Ireland, but at least I can teach them the truth, and not have to battle against misconceptions and prejudices, like the American assistants. Every cloud, I suppose! They all liked learning about Finn MacCool, and especially loved doing a wordsearch, even the 17 and 18 year olds! So I guess I've started off pretty well.

Next week being the last before Toussaint, I'm planning on doing lessons based around Halloween. I found a pretty good lesson plan on Thriller, which I'm considering using, and I might get the younger ones doing apple bobbing; I imagine that would appeal to them!

I WILL go to the market this week! After missing it last week, I'm determined to get up and be there for 9am, no excuses (!), so I can see everything before it's all snapped up! I'm hoping to get a few nice things; I've seen nice cardigans and stuff, which will come in handy during the winter months, I'm sure! So, here's hoping the alarm does its job and gets me out of bed at a time deemed "morning" by society!

Kristina

No comments:

Post a Comment