Sunday 14 November 2010

Becoming Accustomed

Hello all,

So, another week has passed, and I think the fact that I have nothing to report is a good sign. I'm "getting used to" being here, and that I'm happy in my own company is something to be pleased about, particularly given the fact that the only people around my age are my students, thus severely limiting the chance of finding "friends" here! I'm getting on really well with the teachers, I'm pleased to say; Olivier took me to a shooting range on Wednesday. I have to admit, I was apprehensive (to say the least!), but ended up really enjoying it. I think it's much more beneficial to me to be spending time with the teachers, because, after all, they are doing what I want to be doing in a few years time, and I can learn lots from them. Also, they are interesting people, and I can talk to them about stuff I'm interested in too; they want to know about me, and ask questions and show an interest, something I think would be lacking if I were to hang out with different other people. That they are language teachers helps too, because they're willing to help me if I make language mistakes, and they're perfectly happy to speak Franglais if necessary, when I get really stuck!

I'm sure the other language assistants from Queen's are all out at bars having great craic and meeting randomers every other night, but that's not what I do at home, so I'm not planning on doing it here.. I'm pretty much spending my time the way I normally do, only in a different language, and I think that's the best way I can possibly spend my time here. *shrug*

No comments:

Post a Comment